The garden at Greendale #12

The kitchen pond

I’ve covered all the main projects in the previous posts, but we did a few more things, too. One of the bushes outside the kitchen window turned up its toes, so we pulled the stump out and replaced it with a water feature for the back patio. Pete built up the sleepers so we had some height, then we bought a fibre glass cascade.

Doing the planting

The new pond in context. With my backside outside the shade house

I planted annuals at the front of the bed to give some colour. Also low growing herbs like thyme to spread and cover the area. That’s a native fuchsia at the top

An evening view

The Fernery

Another very early job was to redo the fernery. Peter had built a little bit of garden into the long, narrow house to allow in light and break the space up a little. The area had one brick wall and two walls made up of windows. A pergola covered with green corrugated plastic provided cover. Here, tree ferns had been planted. But tree ferns were far too large for a comparatively small space, so my first job was to clear the area out. The tree ferns went to a good home with friends. Then I planted smaller varieties, and hung hanging baskets. This was another area very popular with birds.

Fernery devoid of tree ferns

Taken from inside. This was the meals area, next to the kitchen

Fuchsias, ferns, umbrella trees, hanging baskets. This was one of the few bits of fencing Peter built himself.

The bio-pond

One of the big problems for owners of ornamental pools is keeping the water clean and clear. Yes, you can buy a filter, but they tend to fail pretty quickly. So Peter decided to build his own biological filter for the front patio formal pond. In principle, it works like a swamp does. Water feeds into a bed of coarse sand, slows down, and loses its sediment. Then it feeds out, clean and clear, into the main lake (or in this case, pond). Water plants like rushes grow in the sediment-rich ‘swamp’ part, using up the nutrients.

It worked well – but the downside was the water level in the pond was much lower. If he’d planned such a project from the first, he could have incorporated it into the design.

Water was pumped into this section, from where it leached into the planted part on the right

From there, the water rose until it was high enough to pour out of the pipe

Next time I’ll share some photos of flowers.